Discord is a VoIP digital distribution platform for instant messaging where users can communicate with text messages, voice and video calls in private chats. It has been mainly used by gamers and professionals alike. Since Discord allows people to do video and voice chats, sometimes, you might experience the difficulty that you can’t hear anyone while using Discord. However, others will be able to hear you; clearly, you might not hear a specific user or a set of users, or you might not hear anyone at all. You are trying hard but can’t hear people on Discord.
Now, the question is:
Why can’t you hear anyone on Discord?
This issue is because of improper settings in audio in software settings or while opening the software. The audio device you are using has not been marked as the default device because it is not recognized. In some cases, it might be due to the latest update, where sometimes a bug enters into the software in Discord. Here we are going to discuss fixing the issue once in for all.
So, we are going to explain to you.
What to do if you can’t hear anyone on Discord?
Before going to technical troubleshooting of issues, let’s go through some necessary steps to solve your problem, like restarting your computer. Yes, it can work and should be the first thing you should do, and let’s discuss what else you can do.
- Firstly, test your audio devices( headphones/speakers) are working. If there is no sound on Discord, you have an issue with your audio devices. And if they are working fine and producing sound, jump into the following steps.
- Start by restarting the application. It is simple but sometimes useful.
- Unplug your headset, and plug it again.
- If any of these work, it’s well and good. If not, there might be something a little more technical problem with your Discord.
However, if there is no sound and you can’t hear anyone and no one can hear you, in that case, follow these steps to fix the issue.
Technical method 1: Legacy Audio Subsystem
Turn on to Use Legacy Audio Subsystem in the settings sometimes; your hardware is not compatible with Discord’s latest audio subsystem components. For doing it, merely going back to the legacy Audio Subsystem and will resolve the problem.
Follow these steps for turning this option.
- Open the Discord app on your computer
- Click on User Settings on Discord; it should be on the right side of your avatar.
- Click Audio & Video on the panel
- Scroll down and click on Use Legacy Audio Subsystem and select Toggle and mark Use Legacy Audio Subsystem.
- After that, a new dialog box will pop-up. Click Okay and Submit
It should resolve your problem, and many users have resolved this using this method.
Technical method 2: Setting up Input/Output Devices
Set your audio devices to the primary input & output device. It is done in Windows or whatever operating system you are using and not in the Discord app.
How to set your audio devices
- Right-click on the sound tab in the bottom right-hand corner of the panel on your screen.
- Click on “Open Sound Settings”
- After you click on it, a drop-down menu will appear, and there you click on “Choose Your Output Device.”
- Select the drop-down menu and make sure the headphones you are using are selected as primary and repeat the steps for the “input” device
- After that, restart Discord, and maybe this should solve your problem.
If the methods mentioned above don’t work for you, maybe your Discord has bugs or is not the latest version of the software and needs a software update. Discord regularly releases updates on the website to keep it efficient. However, sometimes the updates can affect your system if not installed correctly. And if your Discord has bugs in it, then it automatically rolls it to an older version. In this case, you need to refresh or restart the system and Discord. It is done simply by pressing Ctrl + R or restarting the system by pressing Alt + F4.
After all of this being resolved
How will you hear another person on Discord?
If the Discord sound is not working and you can’t hear your friends or seem quiet in the conversation, it might be because the Discord volume is set low on your computer. To solve that, follow these instructions to rectify the Volume mixer settings.
In Windows 10, you can quickly lower or increase the volume of specific applications by adjusting your system’s sound, which gives you control over the output voice. However, instances where the individual volume of Discord was so low that the app didn’t provide any output voice.
- Press Windows + S to search and then type Volume Mixer in the search field, and open the System Settings.
- In System Settings, out of all the active applications on your computer. Select Discord and increase its volume to the fullest.
- Save changes and close the window. Restart Discord and see if the issue is resolved.