You are playing a fantastic game with your friend, and now you are in a position that you will be the winner. Suddenly, you start losing your points, and eventually, you may lose the match because of the annoying laggy experience. The NAT type is the main culprit here. So in this report, we will discuss how to change the NAT type on your Personal computer or PC. Before going into the topic first, let us learn about NAT and its purpose.
What is NAT, and What is its primary purpose?
Network Address Translation is commonly called NAT. Network address translation (NAT) is remapping an IP address by changing the information in a data packet’s header. Network packets are the data packages that make up your traffic when it goes across a routing device.
NAT operates in the router and permits it to translate the entire network’s private addresses to a single public IP address. It makes the router a mediator between your private network and the internet.
A NAT router can be compared to an office switchboard. Each area has its number extension that is not visible to outsiders (the private IP). Outgoing calls regularly display the same public number (the public IP). Like a secretary, the NAT can direct callers to specific callers to different areas using their ports while ensuring that those connections are valid and legitimate.
NAT can be used for the following purposes:
- It can be used to prevent IPv4 address exhaustion.
- It can be used to hide your private IP.
- It can also be used to protect you.
Used to prevent IPv4 Address Exhaustion
NAT’s primary use was to save available IP addresses, as their number is restricted. With the growing number of online users, there are not enough IPs for each of them. ISPs use NAT gateways to connect a single IP address to a whole network, preferably a single device. For example, your network may have many connected devices (like laptops, a few mobile phones, IoT devices). If any of them had a unique address, the situation would demand way more IPs. But with NAT gateways, ISPs connect to a single IP instead of several to all the network.
Used to hide your private IP
NAT can also be used to hide your Private IP. It hides your Private IP addresses by displaying a public IP in the place of your Private or Personal IP. As a result, the IP packets seem to originate from routing devices.
NAT will help to protect you. This will help you by acting as a Firewall that helps decide your computer which data goes inside your local network.
How do I change my NAT type to Open?
Follow these steps to change your NAT type to Open:
- Type “cmd” (without any quotes as mentioned here) in the Windows Search box. Choose the Command Prompt to open a command window.
- Type “ipconfig /all” (without any quotes mentioned here) and press the “Enter” button to execute the Command.
- Look into the list of names until you see either “Default Gateway” or “IPV4 Gateway” and write down the numbers next to their names. The numbers will look the same as “192.168.0.0.”
- Open Internet Explorer, then type the Gateway IP address in your address bar, and now press “Enter” to open your router’s configuration page.
- Enter your router password. If you don’t know the password, you need to contact the manufacturer. Still, for many devices, the default password is “admin.”
- Click the “Administration” link or ID on your router. Modify the “UPnP” setting from “Disabled” to “Enabled.”
- Click the “Save Settings” option or “Save Changes” option button at the bottom of the page. Shut your router configuration tool.
That’s all. You have successfully changed the NAT type to Open.
Is it safe to change NAT Type?
You may think that an “Open,” or “Type 1” NAT is ideal, but it’s not recommended to set your router to it. It may kill unwanted disconnections, but it’ll leave your network type wholly unprotected. NAT Type 3 is a definite connection type that enables additional firewall settings.
Ports of Games
You can find the ports for your game by visiting this link. You will need these ports before you move. If you find no ports for your game, try finding the ports using Google, as it is the best way to find ports for your games.
How to Open NAT type on PC?
There are some methods to open NAT type on PC. Some of them are:
- Turn on UPnP
- Use of the configuration file
- UPnP via router
- Turn on Network Discovery in Windows
- Port forwarding
- Setting DMZ
- Consider using a VPN
How to change NAT type on PC?
These are the few methods to change the NAT type from Strict to Open.
Method1 – Turn on UPnP
UPnP is altogether called Universal Plug and Play. It is a set of protocols that helps your devices find each other. It also helps to enable automatic port forwarding. But before turning UPnP on, make sure that you have enabled a static IP. the steps might be different from one router to another. But most of the routers have steps like this:
- Open your router’s control panel on your browser and then log in.
- Now go to the settings and turn on the UPnP.
Beware that turning on this UPnP makes your browser vulnerable online. Due to this, your computer may be vulnerable to cyber-attacks. To avoid all these issues, make sure you have upgraded your UPnP system to the latest version.
- Double-tap on my computer icon. At the base of the screen, you will find an option called network. Click on it.
- Now right-click on network infrastructure and click on properties. If the network infrastructure is not shown on your computer, then follow the next step.
- Click on settings.
- Now click on the Add option that is present there.
- Now a new window opens, and now click on add at the bottom of the screen.
- A new window will appear again. Now in the name of the services tab, name it according to your liking. In the second tab, add the IPv4 address. In the third one, put 28950, and don’t neglect to check UDP. In the last tab, again enter 28950 and finally click on OK.
- Now again, click on add. In the first tab, type MW3 OPEN NAT or anything you like. In the second tab, type the IP address, and in the third tab, type 3074 and check the UDP option. Again type 3074 and then click on the OK option.
- Now click on the Apply option, and after that, click on OK.
- Now close all the windows you have opened and open the game you want to play—Hop [efully, you must have an OPEN NAT TYPE.
- Launch the game, and now your NAT should be an OPEN type.
Again, we remind you that you need to follow the entire procedure once you reboot your router or restart every active connection.
Method 2 – Use of the Configuration File
This is the method with which you can permanently fix this problem.
- You need to log in to your router’s page by using any browser.
- Now go to the router’s configuration page.
- Now find the option Save or Restore Configuration. Click on it.
- A new page will open. Click on the option called Backup and Configuration now.
- Wait a few seconds until a new window appears. Now click on save the file and click on OK.
- Make this file into two copies because if you lost one, we have a backup.
- Open the file.
- Now press control + F and write [connection.ini]
- Now look for the option called the last bind.
- Under the last bind, paste this:
“bind application=CONE(UDP) port=3074-3075”
- Under the last one, paste this:
“bind application=CONE(UDP) port=3478-3479”
- Again for the last time, paste this:
“bind application=CONE(UDP) port=3658
- Now save the file.
- Now go to the router’s page where you have been before.
- Now go to the new configuration file.
- After that, click on Restore Configuration now.
- Please wait for some time and be patient.
- Now close your router’s page and reboot your router.
- When you launch your game now, NAT should open.
Method3 – UPNP via router
- Press WINDOWS + R.
- Type the cmd and click on the enter button.
- Type the ipconfig and click on the enter option.
- Look for the standard or default gateway and then write or copy it.
- Copy the above-found address into your browser and navigate to the router settings menu
- Now try to find WAN, a Similar “Internet” menu or “Local.”
- Try finding a button for UPnP and turn it on, then tap the save or apply button and if no UPnP button is present, move to the port forwarding section of this guide.
- Restart your router
Check if this method has worked. If not, move to the next step.
Method 4 – Turn on Network Discovery in Windows
- Open the Start Menu.
- Open Settings.
- Click the Network & Internet.
- Click on the Sharing options.
- Expand the network profile allocated to the network connection.
- In the Part of Network discovery, select the “Turn on network discovery.” Furthermore, check the box “Turn on automatic setup of network-connected devices.”
- Click on the Save changes option.
- See if the issue is solved.
- If not, go to Method 1 and go to the network on the left to see if your router is visible there and continue there.
Method5 – Setting DMZ
This method is not prescribed due to security issues. Please try this method at your own risk. We are not responsible for anything if you use this method.
- Open Command prompt.
- Enter the following “ipconfig.”
- Note your IP address and default gateway.
- Enter your router by using the default gateway into your browser.
- Click on the ‘Services’ option.
- Click on DMZ (demilitarized zone)
- Set your DMZ IP (enter your IP address of the system)
- Save all the settings and click on the exit option.
- See if it has started to function.
Whenever the IP address of the system changes, you need to change the DMZ IP according to your system’s IP.
Method6 – Port Forwarding
If there is no UPnP option available for your router, then the best method is to use port forwarding.
- Visit portforward.com, and then select your router model.
- Select the game you are fascinated in, read the instructions, and note your game’s default ports.
- Visit your router’s homepage by opening your default gateway IP address into a web browser’s search bar.
- You’ll be provoked to enter the username and password for the router.
- On your router page, find the Port Forwarding section on your router’s homepage. It will be below advanced settings. Check the router’s manual for any help if necessary.
- From here, you can set up the rules for port forward. Depending on your router, you need to select a button that has Add or something related to proceed. Name the Command as per your resemblance.
- In both the port fields, enter the default ports of your exciting game.
- Enter your PC’s IP address in the IP Address bar. Also, start the IP address as the Output IP or Server IP for the port forwarded, which says the router with the system to point at.
- Select both the UDP & TCP options.
- Click the Save or Apply option and then reboot.
Method7 – Consider Using VPN
VPN is technically called Virtual Private Network and is a unique network that combines the computer and the host VPN server. A VPN provides you with the ability to avoid the firewall on the NAT collectively because all of the data that transmits your computer is encrypted, and your physical network won’t remember it. NAT limitations won’t apply. And A VPN makes it difficult for the ISP to see your traffic and requires port restrictions. All of the VPN traffic passes by predefined open ports.
NAT Connectivity issues
If you are browsing through stricter NAT settings, then your internet speed will be slow. But this is not a big problem for browsing daily. You can see this clearly when you are playing a game. The NAT performs like a firewall that protects us against harmful IPs that are dangerous to our data. This NAT will slow down the internet speed by reducing the flow of individual internet packages.
Also, the devices that come with NAT connectivity do not have an end to end connectivity. So these cannot support certain types of internet packages. So some packages do not reach their destination and make the speed of the internet slow, which causes lagging while you are playing some games.
What is a NAT type?
Sadly there is no industry standard definition or classification for the different types of NAT that the users often see on their devices. They usually describe the strictness within the context of the device. The functions and the specifications of the NAT may vary from device to device. So we recommend you check them before changing any settings.
Open NAT – NAT Type Open
Open NAT is a type of NAT that doesn’t have any restrictions. All the devices that have open NAT can ferry send and receive data. It also does not have any firewall, so that it can be connected to other NAT types also. The open type NAT guarantees a smooth and lag-free performance without buffering. But this open type NAT is not a safe option. It does not give you any protection from your internet packages. So you are more likely to be exposed to cyber threats and hackings.
Moderate NAT – NAT Type Moderate
This is the moderate NAT that falls in between the open type and the strict type. This NAT opens only a few ports. This NAT will employ a firewall that will help you protect your computer against cyber attacks and hackings. As it offers firewall protection and security to your computer, it slightly slows down the internet speed.
Strict NAT – NAT Type Strict PC
This is the strict and the most secure NAT type. It restricts all the harmful data entering your computer and is the safest NAT type of all three. This NAT will protect you against any cyber-attacks and hackings. So there will be no worries even if you open any unknown site. This NAT type is mostly enabled by default in all the routers.
The best NAT type that helps secure your internet packages by blocking or not allowing them makes the internet speed very slow. But this slowness cannot be noticed by daily activities. This can be noticed if you play any online game. While playing an online game, you will notice some laggy experiences. Also, sometimes you may notice some connectivity issues as it connects only with open NAT types. So the slow internet connection is only the main problem of the strict NAT type.
Change NAT type on Router – Opening NAT
Follow these steps to change the NAT on your router.
- Connect a device, like a computer or a tablet, to the internet through Wi-Fi or an Ethernet cable connected to your best modem.
- Start a web browser and type http://192.168.0.1 into the web address field.
- Log in to the router’s or modem’s online user interface (Modem GUI) using your Admin Username and Admin Password. Except you have changed the default settings, you can find this data on the modem’s sticker. Note that these are distinct from your wireless SSID and security key.
- Select “Advanced Setup.”
- Select “NAT” in the left sidebar.
- Follow the steps to edit the NAT settings:
- Step 1: Enable/Disable NAT (we suggest keeping it enabled unless advised to do so by a qualified tech)
- Step 2: Click “Apply” to store your changes.
How to enable UPnP on the router – Opening NAT Routers
Follow these steps to enable UPnP on the router:
- Connect your PC to the router’s Wi-Fi (or connect the computer to the modem or router LAN port using an Ethernet cable). In the web address bar, enter 192.168.3.1 and login to the router’s web-based management page.
- Go to the option More Functions > Network Settings > UPnP. UPnP is allowed by default, but you can toggle UPnP to turn it on or off.
These are the methods and steps to change the NAT type on PC and Routers. Some methods may work for some, while the other may not work. So it would be best if you were patient in finding the appropriate method that works for you. So you can try all of these methods and find the appropriate method that works for you.