Despite Dragon Age signifying a top-rated game, it too experiences a few errors here and there. One such error in Dragon Age is Dragon Age Inquisition won’t launch, which holds you locked out of the game, stopping you from actually playing the game.
We know that it is more critical than having a bad game experience.
Dragon age inquisition is a role-playing combat game designed by Bioware and electronics arts. It is the third addition to the Dragon Age franchise and a sequel to the Dragon Age Origins. This game is available for Windows, Xbox, and PlayStation.
What Prevents Dragon Age: Inquisition From Launching?
There are many reasons for a game not being launched, depending on the system. Let’s dig deep into each cause that might block your Dragon Age Inquisition game from launching:
- Compatibility Issues
It is seldom possible for a game to have compatibility problems with Windows 10. In such cases, the windows don’t start the game. However, the good news is that Windows 10 has a compatibility mode that can run any application so far.
- Missing or Corrupted Files
A single missing or corrupted file can be the primary victim of your issue. As all the files are required to launch a game, this is a brainer that your game won’t launch if all these files are not intact and complete.
- Administrative Rights
The game might need extra opportunities to be run on your Personal Computer, i.e., administrative rights.
- Screen Optimization Issue
By default, Windows launches the games in full-screen mode. Nevertheless, sometimes this feature interferes with the game itself. Thus, the game has not started.
- Directx/VC Redist Issue
Direct X and VC Redist both come with the game installer, and they can also be discovered in the installation folder. The versions of both these applications also assist in the game not running correctly on your system.
- Background Processes and Services
So many processes and services Run in the background of your Windows. Very often, these processes interfere when again it is being launched. These processes can vary from third-party applications to Windows services themselves.
How To Fix – Dragon Age: Inquisition Won’t Launch issue?
Now that we recognize the root causes of this problem let’s proceed to the troubleshooting.
But, before jumping to the existing solutions, try restarting your computer once. This might solve your issue. If the restart still doesn’t launch the game, move to the following solutions.
Run With The Dedicated Graphics Card – Dragon age inquisition won’t launch.
This is no brainer that extensive games require a hefty graphics card. If the problem is related to the GPU settings, the root cause would be using the low-power intel chipset.
The Dragon Age Inquisition game demands a hefty graphics card such as an NVIDIA card.
Running A Clean Boot – Dragon age inquisition not launching.
The applications running at the back can lead to this problem as well. It might be some third-party application or a Windows service itself.
Follow these steps to apply a clean boot to make your game function properly:
- Run your computer as an administrator.
- Search for MSConfig on the search bar, and press enter.
- Once the window pops up, go to the services tab.
- Check the button “Hide all the Microsoft Services options.”
- Then, tap on the Disable all button to turn off all the third-party services running at the back.
- Close the configuration tab, right-click the taskbar and select the Task Manager option from the drop menu.
- Go to the start-up tab, and close or disable all the running applications. To disable an already enabled application, right-click the service and select disable option from the menu.
- Restart your PC and relaunch the game.
Verifying Game Files – Origin dragon age inquisition won’t launch.
As discussed already, all the game files are necessary to launch the game. Even if one file is missing or corrupt, the problem will occur while starting. To verify the game files, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Move to Origin Client and sign in to your account.
- Tap on the My Game Library option located in the left pane.
- Right-tap on the Dragon Age Inquisition game and select the repair game option from the drop menu.
- Now, the origin client will start verifying your game files.
- Once the game is tested, it will automatically download the missing files and replace the corrupted files, if any.
- Relaunch the game to check if the error persists or not.
Update Your Graphics Card Driver
Sometimes graphics drivers are the ones causing multiple errors in the windows. Therefore, it is necessary to update outdated graphic drivers or remove corrupted ones to make your experience on windows worthwhile.
To update the graphics-driver on your PC, follow these steps:
- Search for the “devices manager” in the search bar.
- Select the device manager application from the searched options.
- Locate the display adapters from the list of drivers, and expand that tab.
- Right-click the graphic card and select “Update Driver Software” from the drop-down menu
- After the update windows open, now select “Search automatically for updated driver software.” This will install the available updated driver for your graphic card automatically.
There is often a clash between the updated windows and games, known as a compatibility issue. However, luckily, windows have a compatibility mode to launch your game.
Here is how you can run Dragon-Age Inquisition in compatibility mode:
- Now go to the installation folder of the game.
- Right-click the Dragon Age Inquisition executable file and select Properties from the drop-down menu.
- Now, go to the Compatibility tab and tap on the Run Compatibility Troubleshooter option. The windows will detect the preferred OS required to run the game automatically.
- Tap on the Try Recommended Settings and select the Test option.
- Apply/Save the changes and exit the window.
Now, relaunch the game to check if the Dragon Age Inquisition error is gone or not.
Reinstall The Direct X And VC Redist – Origin Dragon age Inquisition won’t launch
Two files are necessary for the game to launch, Direct X and VC Redist. There is a possibility that these files might be corrupted and end up becoming a hindrance when you start your game.
Try reinstalling both to fix the issue. Here is how you can do it:
- Navigate to the following location in your PC C drive → Program Files (x86) → Origin games → Dragon Age Inquisition → Installer → DirectX → Redist
- Run the DXSetup.exe and replace all the previous versions.
- Navigate to the following section in your PC C drive → Program Files (x86) → Origin games → Dragon-Age Inquisition → Installer → VC
- Now run all the executables, i.e., VCRedist.exe present in the folder.
Turn Off Full-Screen Optimizations
By default, Windows launches all the games in full-screen mode. However, this characteristic might not work for all games. Therefore, try using the full mode optimization off for the Dragon Age Inquisition to check if it works without it.
- Go to the Game Installer Folder.
- Please navigate to the DragonAgeInquisition.exe and right-tap on it.
- Select the Properties option given in the drop-down menu.
- Go to the Compatibility tab.
- Check the option named Disable Full-Screen Optimizations.
- Click Apply and then the OK button.
Check Computer Specifications
It is essential to check the game’s system specification requirements beforehand. The minimum and recommended specifications for the Dragon Age Inquisition game are as follows:
- CPU Speed: AMD quad-core CPU @ 2.5 GHz, Intel quad-core CPU @ 2.0 GHz
- RAM: 4 GB
- OS: Windows 7 or 8.1 64-bit
- Video Card: 512 MB, AMD Radeon HD 4870, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
- Pixel Shader: 4.0
- Vertex Shader: 4.0
- Free Disk Space: 26 GB
- Dedicated Video RAM: 512 MB
- CPU Speed: AMD six-core CPU @ 3.2 GHz, Intel quad-core CPU @ 3.0 GHz
- RAM: 8 GB
- OS: Windows 7 or 8.1 64-bit
- Video Card: 2 GB, AMD Radeon HD 7870 or R9 270, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
- Pixel Shader: 5.0
- Vertex Shader: 5.0
- Free Disk Space: 26 GB
- Dedicated Video RAM: 2 GB
Granting Administrative Privileges – Dragon age inquisition won’t launch windows 10
Seldom, Windows 10 blocks the game from entering certain services, files, or folders. This may be the cause behind the problem. To revoke this, Dragon Age Inquisition won’t start issue, grant administrative privileges to the game. For that, use the steps given below:
- First of all, start with the game installation folder. Then, right-tap on the game executable.
- Select the Properties option. Now, go through the Compatibility tab.
- Check the Run as Administrator option.
- Run the game and see whether the query is resolved or not.
Set Execution on Your Antivirus Software
Now, almost everyone has a personal computer or a laptop. But it is equally essential to keep your computer in a decent and safe environment. So, to serve this objective, we have the Antivirus. It is mainly used to identify any threats or bugs in your computer or laptop and solve them. It also helps the users to keep the unwanted file or trojans from attacking your computer. We have mentioned the steps below:
- Firstly, you need to begin with the Start menu on your computer.
- After this, you need to search for Settings and then click on updates and Security. The Windows Defender security center should be immediately open in front of you. Then you can explore the virus and threat protection option and then change to settings.
- You have to tap on the drop-down list and explore for Add or Remove exclusions, which you will find beneath the Exclusives option.
- Ultimately, you have to press the next icon next to “Add an exclusive” and then go to the heading “Folder” after this, you are done as you have to select the Select Folder’s desired game.
Run Dragon Age Inquisition in Compatibility Mode – Can’t play Dragon age inquisition.
As we all know, Windows 10 is the most advanced Operating system, so it still has to resolve some issues, which you face while playing the game online. To fix this problem, you can go through the given mentioned steps:
- First, you want to go to the folder where all your games are placed, that is, the Game Installation, or you can right-click on the game icon you want and choose to open the file’s location.
- Now, you have to pick the executable game file. Then it would be best if you went to Properties.
- After this, you need to go to the Compatibility tab and then tap on the Run button.
- Lastly, try to run the game now to ensure that the issue has been resolved or not.
Reasons why the Dragon Age: Inquisition Crashes to Desktop – DAI won’t launch
We examined the issue by studying various user reports and their resolutions on fixing the problem. Based on what we were able to find, there are a handful of situations that are known to trigger this particular issue:
- Third-party Antivirus is crashing the game: It is based on different user reports; several third-party antivirus suites are associated with crashing the game or blocking it completely, which prevents it from launching.
- Nvidia’s 3D VisionVision is crashing the game: One of Nvidia’s updates enables the 3D Vision to support PCs. However, this is stated to cause the game to crash in the SkyHold region.
- Built-in Origins menu: The Origins platform comes with a built-in menu enabled by default with all approved applications. However, with Dragon Age: Inquisition, this menu is identified to cause the no error message crash.
- Graphics settings are too ambitious: Many users stated that the crash to desktop behavior had been fixed after the concerned users have set the graphical settings to Automatic.
- VSync and the Tessellation settings are crashing the game: Two appropriate graphics settings are assumed to cause VSync and Tesselation’s crash. Some users have stated that they have stopped the crashes by setting the Vsync to Adaptive and the Tesselation to Medium.
- The Lunge bug: This bug causes the game to fail if the player upgrades his cast or character or a companion to the Effortless Lunge Skill. It is mostly stated to occur with modest GPU cards.
- Overclocked GPU or RAM: Some users have stated that they managed to stop the crashes completely after they underclocked their RAM or GPU slightly.
If you’re currently trying to resolve this issue, this article will give you a list of verified troubleshooting steps. Below you have a list of methods proven to be useful by at least one user facing the same problem.
For the most beneficial results, please follow the methods below to find a fix that effectively fixes the issue for your particular scenario.
Disable 3rd party antivirus protection – Dragon age Inquisition won’t launch.
As per several user reports, the problem is likely to be caused by a third-party antivirus (if you’re using one). It aims out that a lot of 3rd party Antivirus solutions are overprotective and will tackle the outgoing link of Dragon Age: Inquisition, making the game crash.
Most users state that AVG is the culprit causing the issue, but other AV clients will likely produce the identical problem.
Based on what most concerned users reported, the issue can be solved by uninstalling the 3rd party application completely, adding a security exemption to both the game and the Origin client, or stopping the Antivirus.
Keep in mind that the method of adding an exemption to your 3rd party AV will be changed depending on which software you use. In AVG, you can add a security Exemption by going to Options > Advanced settings. Then, tap on Exceptions from the left-hand menu and tap on Add Exception. Next, go forward and add an exception to the game executable and the Origin executable.
Another answer is to uninstall your 3rd party AV entirely. This is favored if you’re using a 3rd party security suite that incorporates an external firewall – the security controls of a firewall will not be disabled if you stop the real-time protection of your AV. Alternatively, you can try on uninstalling every shade of your 3rd party antivirus.
If this process didn’t apply to your situation or resolve it, move down to the next method below.
Disable 3D Vision (if applicable) – Dragon age Inquisition not launching
The difficulty was with an Nvidia feature included with some graphics card drivers for some users. Based on several user reports, the difficulty is known to happen with users that have established a new Nvidia driver called 3D Vision. Moreover, this should be a feature that enables users to watch 3D Blu-Rays from a PC, and it appears to conflict with Dragon Age: Inquisition.
Some users who found the same problem stated that the issue was settled as they uninstalled the driver. If you use a 3D Vision to watch 3D Blu-ray movies, you try to reinstall the driver as quickly as you need it.
Here’s a guide on uninstalling the Nvidia 3D Vision driver:
- Tap Windows key + R to open up a Run dialog box. Next, type “appwiz.cpl” and tap Enter to open up Programs and Features.
- Inside the Programs and Features, scroll down into the list of applications, then right-click on Nvidia 3D vision driver and click on Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen steps to remove the driver from your system.
- Now Restart your computer and compare to see if the issue has been fixed.
If the problem is yet not fixed, move down to the next process below.
Disable the built-in Origins menu (if applicable)
If you began the game through Origin, keep in mind that the EA platform has a built-in menu known to solve many games. A few users have stated that the culprit was identified as the in-game Origins menu in their case. After they stopped the built-in menu, the random crashes with no error messages have stopped entirely.
Here’s a guide on how to stop the Origin In-Game menu:
- Open the origin client and enter your user details to log into your EA Account.
- From the main Origin menu, tap on Application Settings, then tap on the Origin In-Game tab.
- Finally, toggle the switch connected with Enable Origin In-Game to Off.
If this wasn’t sufficient or isn’t applicable, stay down with the following method below.
Bringing the graphics settings to Automatic – DAI won’t launch.
Some users stated that random Dragon Age: Inquisition crashes without any error information have reported that the problem was corrected after toning down the graphics settings. Forcing your PC to run the game on Ultra or High can produce sudden crashes if your machine cannot keep a steady framerate.
Some users in a related situation have stated that the problem was resolved after setting the graphical settings to Automatic. This setting will make the graphics settings according to your system capabilities, ensuring that the game is not collapsing due to resource incapabilities. To do this, move to the game’s options and set the graphics to Automatic.
If the game is crashing even after setting the graphics to automatic, move to the next step mentioned below.
Changing VSync to Adaptive and Tessellation to Medium
If the automated graphics adjuster couldn’t fix the problem, let’s try to do so manually. Some users facing the crash to desktop without any error message stated that they achieved to configure Dragon Age: Inquisition to stop crashing or stopping by changing two key graphical settings.
As it turns out, Tessellation and VSync are often engaged in crashes to the desktop – this is even more popular with Nvidia Graphics cards. Some users have accomplished reducing the crashes by setting the Tesselation to Medium and VSync to Adaptive.
If this method wasn’t practical, move to the next method mentioned below.
Disabling the Lunge and Slash ability – Can’t play Dragon Age Inquisition
If you have come this far without getting an accurate result, there’s a chance that you’re encountering this weird behavior due to a bug named by the fans of the game as the Lunge bug. For few users, the crash to the desktop with no error message occurs when the Effortless Lunge skill is allowed for the main character or any party’s companions.
Although EA has been calm about this issue, fans consider that the crashes affect how individual video cards process the skill’s animation.
Suppose you’re still facing these crashes after observing all the methods above. See if you or any of your friends you take to your party have the Effortless Lunge bug. If you have it, respect and avoid taking the Effortless Lunge – you can, however, use the Lunge and Slash by taking the other upgrade.
If this method didn’t work or doesn’t apply to your character or cast or your friends, move down to the following method mentioned below. But if you don’t want to stop this ability, you should not take the Effortless Lunge upgrade on either one of your characters or casts so that you don’t have to take the Lunge and Slash Ability.
Underclocking your memory or GPU – Dragon age Inquisition won’t launch Windows 10
As a lot of users have mentioned, this issue can also be related to your RAM. Before overclocking your memory, you may need to revert to the default settings or even somewhat underclock them and check if the crash stops.
This behavior is often reported with RAM sticks with a low frequency by default (800 MHz or 1000 MHz). If this situation applies to you, underclock your RAM again and see if the crashes stop.
Since overclocking your RAM is different from your motherboard manufacturer, we can’t offer you a comprehensive guide. Nevertheless, these changes are done from the BIOS settings. In the most common BIOS settings menu, you modify your Memory frequencies by going to Advanced Chipset Features > FSB & Memory Configurations.
Remember that some other users have succeeded in stopping the PC’s crashes by underclocking their GPUs (removing ~50 MHZ from the clock speed). This is also stated to be a successful fix on GPUs that was overclocked.
Warning: If you nevermore overclocked anything already, we strongly recommend you against trying with different Memory or GPU frequencies.
Switching out Blackwall
This may seem mysterious for most users, but the Dragon Age Inquisition crashes were occurring for users because they have selected Blackwall in their party. The crashes were occurring while fighting the spiders in the cave. Therefore, if you face frequent crashes at a particular point, try to switch out heroes in your party and opt for a different one. The issue at this point was fixed by selecting Dorian instead of Blackwall.
If you have Trials Enabled, disable or stop them and get rid of CE before traveling because that has reportedly fixed the problem for some users.
Deleting the Game’s Cache
DAI stores the Cache to reduce the load times and optimize the game’s overall launch, but it can seldom be corrupted, and the game may crash while attempting to load the contaminated Cache. Luckily, the Cache can be automatically regenerated if it can be deleted to eliminate this contaminated Cache quickly. For that:
- Press “Windows” + “E” to start the File Explorer and navigate the following path.
- C:\Users\Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age Inquisition\cache
- Once you go to this folder, press the “CTRL” + “A” keys on your keyboard and press the “Shift” + “Delete” keys.
- Confirm any steps shown on your screen, and the Cache should be deleted.
- Launch your game and check if the issue is now fixed.
Note: Ensure that you set the Mantle to load on the lowest settings because the high settings on the Mantle make crashes for many users, and putting them on the lowest ones settles the issue for some.
Changing Launch Settings
Some users were encountering crashing without error issues if their game didn’t have the administrative privileges granted. The game might need admin support to access some system files, and if it isn’t given, it will crash during the opening. Also, the game might be inconsistent with some versions of Windows.
- Press “Windows” + “E” to go to the File Explorer and navigate the game’s installation folder.
- Right-click on the primary DAI executable and select the “Properties” option.
- Click on the “Compatibility” tab and now check the “Run as Administrator” box below.
- Also, check the “Run this program in Compatibility Mode for” different Windows version from the drop-down.
- Save all the settings and exit out of the window.
- Check and see if this fixes the issue for your game.
Other Things to do:
- Ensure to Update your Bios if in case it is causing the crash to the desktop problem.
- You try to uninstall recent updates.
- Upgrade to Windows 10 if you are encountering this issue on other versions of Windows.
- Ensure to disable the Nvidia-Geforce Experience’s Optimizing service and also disable any other optimizing software.
- Ensure to uninstall and reinstall all mods, patches, and the game.